Tuesday 3 March 2009

Balancing your account.

I have no idea what I actually own, by way of clothes. I hang everything on the floor (or thereabouts) because I have too many things to put away, but then I can't find anything, so I only wear a small fraction of my gear.

I plan to make a list of what I do own. Every day I shall record what I'm wearing, for a start. I shall also purge my drawers and wardrobe of anything I don't wear.
  • If I absolutely love it with all my heart, but it doesn't fit at the moment - it's going in the cellar.
  • If I don't love it, but it's made by Monsoon, or another desireable brand, or is vintage - it's going on ebay.
  • If I don't love it and it isn't worth the faff of ebaying, I'm taking it to the clothes swap* on Thursday.
Then, every night before I go to bed, I have to put away more items of clothing from the 'clean' pile than I'm adding to the 'dirty' one.

You never know - it might work.

*The clothes swap. On thursday a fantastically kind mate is inviting a bunch of girls around to hers. We each bring our wardrobe surplus - and people try things on and go home with new stuff. It's brilliant. Of course most people bring a handful of items - the first one I went to, I brought an absolutely massive suitcase full. But I have a lot of stuff. It barely made a dent. Anyway, it works best if the guests have someone else of a similar size, or who has been a similar size, to swap with - but you can bring accessories, jewellery and shoes - and anyway, my clingy top might be just the thing for my size 10 friend to wear as a beach coverup. The more guests the host can accomodate, the better it works. Afterwards, the leftovers are taken to a charity shop.

I'll let you know how it goes.

My sisters and Mum and I have been threatening to do one of these with cosmetics and body potions, which I think is an excellent idea too.

So listen - plan a swapping party. It's completely environmentally fabulous, credit-crunch sensitive, and makes room in your wardrobe to see the wood for the trees.

3 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say that I love your blog. I'm the wrong age and shape for it...so wishing you were an aging 40 something, beanpole, but I do so appreciate your passion. Well done girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much. I try to reflect all bodyshapes in the blog, but inevitably i'm a bit biased...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've started a purge of one item per day during March, getting rid of anything that doesn't fit or suit me. Quite liberating, really, but I don't think I will have very much clothing left at the end of it all. Eek.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting - always nice to know I'm not talking to myself...