Sunday 1 March 2009

Imagine being less than perfect in LA.



To my knowledge, I don't have any regular readers in Los Angeles, and I really wouldn't want to live there myself. I visited once, and it was fine... not terribly interesting - but it is the home of the seeming-compulsory 'single digit' dress size. Above a US size 8 (equivalent to a UK/Aus 12), there's a perception that you're something of a horror. I gain this insight from some reading on the LA Times website, where some articles on the subject of plus size shopping gave me pause for thought.

The main article was sent to me by Sarah (of the fabulous Agent Provocateur shoes), and intelligently puts the case that, although larger women aren't going short of clothes, they lack access to design and fashion. It explores the reasoning behind that, since it clearly isn't a commercial decision. Eye-opening, and not terribly uplifting, it is nevertheless well worth a read - if only for a choice piece of nastiness from the mouth of Karl Lagerfield.

The average American woman is a size 14 (uk size 18), and in the UK we're about half a dress size behind. Yet most design-conscious retailers would rather go to the economic wall than sell her a frock. Get a grip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting - always nice to know I'm not talking to myself...